The Feature Spotlight is designed to allow a site owner or content manager to feature a single content item with summary text, an optional image, and a "Read More" link to encourage users to click through to the associated detail page. It supports Promotions and all page content types, except for the Webform page.
The display of the Feature Spotlight will be different depending on which theme your website is running. In the Classic theme, the Feature Spotlight is most often used as a welcome message on the homepage; while in the Editorial theme, it is more suitable as a headline news feature.
Create a Feature Spotlight
The creation of a Feature Spotlight is the same in both the GW Drupal Editorial and Classic themes, however, the implementation method will differ between the two.
- Hover over My Workbench > Create Content
- Click on Content Set
A blank content entry page will load.
- Select Feature Spotlight from the required Subtype dropdown options
- Under Onsite Content, type in the name of the pre-existing content item you'd like to feature
- Drupal will display a list of matching items
- Select the appropriate item
- You must select from the list. Do not simply type in the item's name.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page
- Click on the Publishing Options panel
- Set the Moderation State to Published
- Click the Save button
Only one item can display in the Feature Spotlight area at a time. Adding additional items to the Onsite Content section will not work. It there is more than one item listed, only the first item will display.
- On the desired page, click the Customize this Page button
- Add a content pane in the desired page region
- In the next window, select GW Display Views - Site Placement
- Select Content Set - Feature Spotlight Home Page from the list of options
- Check the Override Title checkbox
- Select Feature Spotlight from the Display Options dropdown
- If desired, check the "Show Image" checkbox
- Click the Finish Button
For the Homepage
By default, the homepage of the GW Drupal Classic theme website has a content pane on standby for displaying the Feature Spotlight. To allow yours to display there, you simply need to give it a Site Placement value of "Home" before it is published.
If the Feature Spotlight does not display, that likely means that its content pane has been deleted. A Site Administrator will need to restore the GW Content Set - Feature Spotlight Home Page content pane back to the homepage via the Customize this Page button in order for the feature to work as expected.
On a Subpage
Subpages are not designed to display Carousel sliders by default. However, it is possible to configure them to do so.
- A Site Administrator will need to add the GW Content Set - Featured Spotlight Overview content pane to the desired page via the Customize this Page button.
- The Feature Spotlight must be given a Site Placement value that matches the Site Placement value on the desired page.
If, after following these steps, the Featured Spotlight does not display please take advantage of Online Strategy's Office Hours for further support.